Friday, November 11, 2011

wrestlers and looters

I cleaned out the car this morning. My hands were freezing, and therefore it took a while to unpack the half of my house that had found its way into our vehicle. I’m not sure how so much stuff accumulates in there, but strangely, I find that I miss it after it’s all gone. I have become accustomed to being able to rummage through the odds and ends and find whatever I need when I’m out and about. Kind of like when I clean out my purse; when it’s in its normal state, I’m bound to find a pen when needed. But a clean, empty purse always fails me.

The girls play some wrestling game on the trampoline while I throw out all of their backseat garbage. I’m never sure when to step in and stop activities such as throwing each other around and sitting on top of each other all while laughing and giggling. Because we all know that it starts out innocently…and then the attached scarf somehow gets ripped off of the coat. There is momentary sadness, but then the freed scarf opens up a whole new world of possible trampoline games. I don’t have the heart to scold and warn when the two of them are actually getting along and having a grand old time. And now that we’re inside and our noses and fingers are returning to their normal color, they think I don’t know that they’ve stolen the Halloween bag to pillage its contents under their bed. To be 4 years old again, and never have to give a thought to cluttered cars or ill-fitting clothes. I might as well let them enjoy it while they can.

No comments: